Vegan cauliflower casserole with meat-free mince, cheese and sour cream is the ultimate comfort food for the whole family.
- cauliflower ( one big or two small )
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- half of the red bell pepper
- 300g vegan mince
- 400g dairy-free sour cream
- 100g dairy-free shredded cheese
- 140g uncooked rice
- 350ml veggie broth
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2-3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp basil
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and cook in salty water with a few bay leaves until tender.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then saute the onion and half of the red bell pepper with a pinch of salt until soft. After a few minutes, add garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add vegan mince with the spices and tomato puree and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add veggie broth, reduce the heat and cook till the mince is ready.
- In the meantime, pre-heat to oven to 200c.
- Combine the mince with the cooked rice, and let's start the layering.
- Cover the bottom of your dish with a bit of vegetable oil and breadcrumbs, put half of your cauliflower as your first layer, then follow with the mince and rice mixture, and cover with another layer of cauliflower. Make sure to press the mince and rice mixture a bit to stay intact when serving.
- Mix the sour cream with the cheese and gently spread it on top.
- Cook it in the oven for about 30 minutes until golden.
When it is ready, set it aside for ten minutes to cut it into small pieces without falling apart.
If you like it more creamy, add extra sour cream on top.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
Keywords: Hungarian recipe, cauliflower casserole, vegan casserole, mince, baked recipes