This hearty and delicious vegan tofu breakfast sandwich is the best way to start your day! It is juicy, eggy, spicy and delicious! You'll love it!
This Vegan Tofu Breakfast Sandwich is my favourite way to kick off weekdays or those lazy weekends. It is juicy, eggy, spicy and falling apart while you're eating it. It is also messy, so you might need a napkin as well 🙂 but trust me, that's why you'll love it!
Buttery English muffin filled with chickpea flour battered marinated fried tofu, melty cheese, juicy tomatoes, vegan bacon and sriracha mayo for the extra kick. This recipe is so versatile; you can use anything you like or have at home, so it's never going to get boring.
I don't know about you, but usually, I prefer savoury breakfasts. I still love my warm protein porridge with fruits, seeds and peanut butter, or a Quick and Easy Vegan Protein French Toast, but 80% of the time, I'd like to start my day with something savoury, especially after my long runs.
So if you want something flavourful, hearty, quick and easy, this recipe is for you! For even more breakfast ideas, check out my Vegan Monte Cristo Sandwich and my Vegan Breakfast Quesadillas recipes. In case you haven't seen them yet.
Why you will love this Recipe
- It is delicious, juicy and cheesy - vegan bacon, melty cheese, juicy tomato, spicy sriracha mayo and fried battered tofu are always a good combo.
- Versatile - this recipe is so versatile. You can use anything you like or have at home. Don't you have any vegan bacon at home? No problem! Try this sandwich with vegan ham and sausages, or fill them up with any veggies you like.
- The battered tofu is the best part of the meal - do you like chickpea omelette? Then you will love this fried tofu! It is battered in a thick chickpea flour batter and then fried until golden brown.
- Quick and Easy to make - We don't want to spend the whole day in the kitchen making breakfast. So this is a great meal idea if you like quick and easy but delicious recipes.
Vegan breakfast sandwich Ingredients
As I mentioned before, this recipe is versatile. But I used the ingredients below:
- English muffins
- Extra firm tofu
- Vegan Bacon
- Dairy-free cheese
- Sriracha mayo ( I mixed vegan mayo and sriracha sauce )
- Vegan butter
- Soya sauce
- Vegetable oil
For the chickpea batter you'll need:
- Chickpea flour
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Black salt / kala namak
- Nutritional yeast
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make this Vegan Tofu Breakfast Sandwich
- Firstly, press the tofu for about 15-20 minutes. Place a block of tofu in a kitchen towel, put something heavy on top and let it drain.
- After pressing the tofu, place it on its side and cut two slices. Then, cut the tofu into shapes. Use a glass or a cookie cutter if you want it to have a circle shape.
- Now, time to marinate the tofu. Mix the soya sauce, garlic powder, and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Place the tofu pieces and leave them to marinate for a few minutes.
- While the tofu is marinating, make the chickpea flour batter. In a small bowl, add the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, black salt / kala namak, smoked paprika and garlic powder and mix it with water until it's nice and smooth.
- Heat a bit of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the tofu into the batter to coat them evenly, and fry them in a skillet until it's nicely golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. When one side is cooked, add a slice of dairy-free cheese on top, and put the lid on the skillet so the cheese can melt.
- While cooking, cut the tomatoes into slices and spread butter on each side of the muffins.
- Mix the vegan mayo with sriracha sauce in a small bowl.
- Add a bit of oil or butter to the same skillet and fry the vegan bacon until it's crispy.
- Meanwhile, toast the muffins and spread each with sriracha mayo.
- And lastly, it's time to build up your sandwich. Place the fried cheesy tofu on a muffin half, followed by the vegan bacon, tomatoes, and the other half of the muffin. Serve it immediately. Enjoy!
Vegan Breakfast Sandwich variations
This is a delicious, versatile breakfast recipe, which means you can try it with different variations by adding other vegetables or protein of your choice.
- I love it with vegan cheese and bacon; my absolute favourite is the chickpea flour batter. Although, you can try it with different vegetables, for example, grilled bell peppers, mushrooms, avocado, spinach. Basically, any vegetable you have at home. Or make it without the batter; marinate the tofu and fry it in the pan.
- It will be delicious with vegan ham, pepperoni or sausages if you don't have vegan bacon.
- To make it even spicier, add more sriracha, chilli or jalapeno.
More tofu recipes
If you try this recipe, take a photo of your creation, and please tag me on Instagram @plantnspice #plantnspice because I love seeing your remakes!Print
For more easy recipes try these: