Creamy Vegan egg salad is a delicious, plant-based twist on a classic favourite. It is made with silken tofu and a flavourful mayo-based dressing. Easy and quick to make. Perfect for breakfast or lunch.
Welcome to my food blog, where I share quick and easy vegan recipes that everyone can enjoy. After all those pasta and dinner recipes, I wanted to share my favourite breakfast and post-run meal recipe with you. Vegan egg salad is a plant-based twist on a classic egg salad, but of course, made without any animal products.
If you are like me and love quick breakfast ideas, then check out my Easy Vegan Tofu Breakfast Sandwich, The Best Vegan Ham and Cheese French Toast, my Quick and Easy Protein French Toast or my delicious Vegan Breakfast Quesadillas recipes.
I've been eating this salad for so long; I love it, especially after my runs, because it is packed with protein, it is delicious and easy to make using only a few ingredients. Trust me, this vegan egg salad will be ready in 5 minutes.
Perfect for those looking for a delightful, leisurely breakfast or lunch. Whether you are vegan or looking to embrace a plant-based lifestyle or reduce animal product consumption, this recipe is for you!
Vegan Egg Salad
Vegan egg salad gives you nostalgic flavours and textures of the classic egg salad. I eat this many times a week because it's so easy to make, it will be ready in no time, and it's super flavourful, packed with protein, it's a great breakfast or lunch idea.
I've replaced the eggs with a versatile plant-based ingredient that delivers a similar creamy and satisfying experience. Can you guess what it is? Yes, it is TOFU!
I've tried this recipe with firm tofu, extra firm tofu and silken tofu, and the most I liked it with it was silken tofu. This is, of course, up to your taste or preferences; I just found it tastier with silken tofu.
But let's talk about taste. I'm not going to lie; this vegan egg salad does not only look like the original eggy version but is also very close to tasting like that. The secret to the eggy flavour is to add black salt, aka Kala Namak, to it.
What is Black Salt?
Black salt is a special type of rock salt that is commonly used in Indian and other South Asian cuisines. It contains sulfur compounds, which give it a distinct "eggy" smell and taste, making it an excellent ingredient for mimicking the flavor of eggs in vegan dishes.
Despite its name, black salt is not actually black; it ranges in color from light purple to pink when ground into a fine powder.
Ingredients you will need to make Vegan Egg Salad
Here's what you need to make this delicious vegan egg salad:
- Silken tofu - The star of the show.
- Vegan mayonnaise - I used store-bought, but you can make your own. This is the base for our creamy salad "dressing."
- Mustard - You can use Dijon or any other type of mustard you prefer. It adds a distinct, tangy, and slightly spicy flavour to the salad.
- Black salt / Kala Namak - Adding black salt, also known as Kala Namak, to a vegan egg salad is a popular technique in plant-based cooking to enhance the eggy flavour and aroma.
- Turmeric - Adds a nice yellow colour to your salad to simulate the egg yolk.
- Black pepper - For extra flavour.
- Garlic powder - For the extra garlicky flavour.
- Lemon juice - For the fresh, tangy flavour. It also brightens the flavours of your salad.
For the full recipe and quantities, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to make Vegan Egg Salad
- Firstly, start by draining the Silken tofu. Gently remove it from the package and place it on a few layers of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Pat the tofu gently to remove any excess moisture. Be careful not to press too hard, as Silken tofu is delicate.
- Then in a mixing bowl, crumble or cut the drained Silken tofu into small pieces. Aim for an egg-like texture.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the dressing by whisking together the vegan mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, turmeric powder, garlic powder, black salt, and pepper. Adjust the seasonings to your taste preferences.
- After that pour the dressing over the crumbled Silken tofu and mix gently to combine, ensuring all the tofu is coated with the dressing.
Once prepared, this Vegan Egg Salad can be enjoyed in various ways. Serve it as a delicious spread on crusty bread for a satisfying sandwich, or add it to wraps and tortillas for a quick lunch option. It also makes an excellent topping for crisp salads or protein-packed snacks.
To enhance the best flavours, when the salad is ready, cover the bowl and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to meld and the salad to chill. It taste even better the next day.
As soon as you finish making the salad or if you have leftovers, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days to keep it fresh and safe to eat.
Avoid Freezing: Freezing tofu-based salads like vegan egg salad is not recommended as it can lead to a change in texture and consistency when thawed. Tofu tends to become crumbly and may not retain its creamy texture after freezing.
Vegan egg salad is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in various ways. Here are a few delicious serving options:
- Sandwich - Spread a generous amount of vegan egg salad between two slices of your favorite bread, along with some lettuce and sliced tomatoes.
- Wraps and tortillas - Roll the vegan egg salad in a tortilla or wrap, along with some avocado slices, shredded carrots, and spinach for a quick and portable lunch or snack.
- Crackers - Serve it alongside with your favourite crackers.
- Salad topper - Use vegan egg salad as a protein-packed topping for a crisp green salad. It adds creaminess and flavour to the salad while increasing its nutritional content.
More easy tofu recipes
More easy recipes you will love
Looking for other easy recipes? Try these: