These Puff Pastry Pinwheels loaded with savoury mushrooms and gooey vegan cheese are the perfect finger-food party appetizers. They're great for any holiday season, gatherings or parties when your friends are coming over.
Today, I'm excited to share a delectable recipe that is perfect for any holiday season, parties, gatherings, or when you want to treat yourself to a flavourful snack.
Christmas, Thanksgiving or New Year's party? I got you! This recipe is for you!
For more party appetizers, check out my Vegan Cheese Asparagus Tart with Puff Pastry, my Easy Mushroom and Cheese Tart, my Easy Stuffed Mushrooms with Vegan Cream Cheese and Jalapeños, or my Easy Tomato and Cashew Cheese Tart with Puff Pastry recipes.
They're all easy and quick to make, like all my recipes on my blog.
- Mushroom Puff Pastry Pinwheels with Vegan Cheese
- why you will love this recipe
- Ingredients for Vegan Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- How to make Puff Pastry Pinwheels with Mushroom and Vegan Cheese
- How to store them
- Pro Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Appetiser Recipes:
- Puff Pastry Pinwheels with Mushroom and Vegan Cheese
- More easy recipes to try:
Mushroom Puff Pastry Pinwheels with Vegan Cheese
Buttery puff pastry loaded with savoury vegan cheddar cheese, mixed mushrooms, thyme, onion and garlic, rolled and baked to perfection, make it the perfect appetizer.
These cheesy mushroom puff pastry pinwheels are easy to make, budget-friendly, and can be made in advance.
They are my favourite go-to snack when I am in a hurry and have no time to spend in the kitchen but still want to make something delicious.
why you will love this recipe
- Versatile and Adaptable
- Easy to make
This recipe is not only delicious, but also crispy, healthy, cheesy, and vegan and can easily be made gluten-free. That's why you will love it!
To make it gluten-free, you need to buy the gluten-free puff pastry.
Ingredients for Vegan Puff Pastry Pinwheels
Here's what you need to make this delicious Vegan Puff Pastry Pinwheels with Mushroom and Vegan Cheese:
- Puff pastry: The main ingredient of our recipe. Check the ingredients if you want to make it vegan, but most are dairy- and egg-free. Use store-bought puff pastry to save time.
- Mixed mushrooms: The star of the show. I've used the mix of white button and cremini mushrooms, but you can use any mushrooms you like or have available, whether they're portobello, chestnut or wild mushrooms.
- Dairy-free cheese: Use your favourite vegan cheese. I used cheddar style.
- Onion and garlic: As always, this is the base for almost all my recipes.
- Dairy-free butter: To sauté the aromatics and mushrooms.
- Salt, pepper and thyme
- Non-dairy milk for brushing. This will give an extra golden shine to the puff pastry.
- Parsley ( optional )
For the full recipe and quantities, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
This recipe is crispy outside and creamy and soft inside. It is cheesy and healthy, and once you try it, you won't stop it!
It is SO GOOD! You may want to make a double portion.
Oh hey, I warned you! 🙂
How to make Puff Pastry Pinwheels with Mushroom and Vegan Cheese
You will find the full recipe with all the measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
If you're using frozen puff pastry, you must ensure it's thawed. Leave the pastry in the fridge overnight.
Step 1: Firstly, preheat your oven to 392°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a skillet over medium heat, warm up a bit of butter. Add in the onions and sauté them until they are tender. Then add garlic and cook for another few minutes.
Step 3: When the aromatics are soft, add chopped mushrooms and season with thyme. Sauté them until tender and any excess moisture evaporates—season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Then set them aside and let them cool.
Step 4: Roll out your thawed vegan puff pastry.
Step 5: Now, spread the vegan cheese and then the sautéed mushroom mixture evenly over the puff pastry. Sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top of the mushroom mixture and push them a bit down with a wooden spoon.
Step 6: When you done, roll the puff pastry tightly from one edge to form a log. Lightly brush it with non-dairy milk for that beautiful golden colour. Gently seal the seam. Then, slice the log into ½-inch thick pinwheels.
Step 7: After that, place the pinwheels on the prepared baking sheet, giving them space between each piece. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until they puff up and turn golden brown. When they are ready, Let them cool before you try them! And try not to eat them all at once! 🙂
Finally, sprinkle with fresh parsley and ENJOY!
How to store them
Once you've baked the vegan puff pastry pinwheels, allow them to cool completely and store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can freeze the pinwheels for up to 1-2 months. When ready to enjoy, reheat them in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes until they're heated and crispy.
Whether stored at room temperature or frozen, to reheat the pinwheels, it's best to use the oven to help them regain their crispiness. Avoid using the microwave, as it may make the pastry soggy.
- Experiment with different herbs or spices in the mushroom mix for varied flavours.
- Ensure the puff pastry is thawed but still cold for easier handling.
- Avoid overloading the pastry with filling to prevent spillage during baking.
- When cooking the mushrooms, leave the salt off until the last minute; otherwise, your mushrooms will be rubbery.
- Allow the mushrooms to cool down slightly before adding them to the top of the pastry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, sure! You can prepare the pinwheels ahead of time and freeze them. When ready to bake, pop them into the oven, adjusting the baking time slightly.
Feel free to use your preferred mushrooms or mix varieties for an exciting blend of flavors and textures.
Absolutely! Look for gluten-free vegan puff pastry or try making your own gluten-free pastry dough. Ensure all ingredients used are gluten-free.
More Appetiser Recipes:
- Easy and Cheesy Vegan Garlic Bread Recipe
- One-Pot Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe
- Creamy Vegan Roasted Tomato Soup
- Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
Thank you for joining me in the kitchen and trying this delicious recipe! Your feedback means the world to me, so if you loved this dish, don't forget to rate the recipe and share your thoughts in the comments below. And hey, let's connect on Instagram too! If you share your creations and tag me @plantnspice, I'd be thrilled to see your delicious masterpiece.
Happy cooking and happy eating!Print