Easy Vegan Bolognese is a simple and delicious plant-based alternative to the traditional meaty version. It is a heartyand satisfying dinner idea packed full of flavour and perfect any time of the year.
- 300 g pasta of your choice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion ( finely chopped )
- 4-5 cloves garlic ( minced )
- 1 medium carrot ( finely chopped )
- 1 celery stalk ( finely chopped )
- 220 g meat-free mince
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml passata
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400 ml veggie stock
- 100 ml unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp oregano
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp marjoram
- handful of fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Firstly, chop onion, carrot, and celery. Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot and celery with a pinch of salt and sauté for about 5 minutes until it becomes translucent. Then add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the meat-free mince to the saucepan, cook for a few minutes until it gets softer, and soak up some water and oil.
- Stir in the tomato puree and spices, mix it well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes, passata, veggie stock, sugar and bay leaves. If you like it spicy, add red chilli flakes to the sauce. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Lower the heat, put the lid on and let the sauce simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. This will allow the flavours to meld together, and the sauce slightly thickens.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta al dente according to package instructions.
- Lastly, stir in the dairy-free milk, fresh parsley and nutritional yeast, mix it well and cook for another 51- and that's it, your sauce is ready.
- And finally, taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings if needed.
Serve it over the cooked spaghetti or pasta. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or basil and vegan parmesan. Enjoy!
I love adding dairy-free sour cream and cheese on top for the extra flavour and creaminess. This is how I and my family have been eating bolognese since I was a kid. So delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan bolognese, bolognese sauce, vegan spaghetti bolognese