This easy savoury mushroom tart with vegan cheese is the perfect appetizer, but it could also be great for lunch and dinner any time of the year. It is made with puff pastry to save you time and make it quicker.
Oh, Hi! Please, welcome another Mushroom Recipe on my blog! As you can tell, I am obsessed with mushrooms nowadays. I just can't help it. I love mushrooms, and if it comes with cheese, I just can't say no to it!
If you like this Easy Vegan Mushroom and Cheese Tart, you will love my Tomato and Cashew Cheese Tart too, which inspired me to try this recipe. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet, and let me know what you think!
Puff pastry, buttery sautéed onion and mushrooms seasoned with garlic, thyme and soya sauce baked to perfection over a bed of sprinkled dairy-free vegan cheese.
This recipe is so easy to make and packed with flavours. Once you try it, you will want more! Like many other recipes on my blog, it is fuss-free, thanks to our friend, the star of the show, our forever favourite puff pastry. I mean, who wants to spend a whole day creating complicated meals in the kitchen?
And if you like mushrooms as much as I do, then you have to try my Easy Stuffed Mushrooms with Vegan Cream Cheese and Jalapeños, Rich and Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff, Easy Mushroom and Lentil Wellington, Gnocchi with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and my forever favourite Silken Tofu with Mushrooms recipe.
This recipe is not only delicious, but also crispy, healthy, cheesy, and vegan and can easily be made gluten-free. That's why you will love it! To make it gluten-free, you need to buy the gluten-free puff pastry.
Ingredients to make Vegan Mushroom Tart
Here's what you need to make this delicious mushroom tart:
- Mushrooms: Of course, the star of the show! I've used White Button Mushrooms, but you can use any mushrooms you like or have available, whether it's portobello, chestnut, cremini or wild mushrooms.
- Puff Pastry: The main ingredient of our tart. Check the ingredients if you want to make it vegan, but most are dairy- and egg-free.
- Onion and garlic: This is the base for almost all my recipes.
- Dairy-free cheese: I used dairy-free Violife cheese, but it would be delicious with other vegan cheese as well.
- Vegan butter: To sauté the onion and mushrooms.
- Soya sauce: For the umami flavour. It makes the mushrooms super tasty. If you don't believe me, try it!
- Thyme: Mushrooms and thyme are best friends. But you can use rosemary or Italian mixed herbs too.
- Dairy-free milk and turmeric ( optional ): A mixture of dairy-free milk and turmeric will give an extra golden shine to the puff pastry.
See recipe card for quantities.
how to make vegan mushroom tart
You will find the full recipe with all the measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
If you're using frozen puff pastry, you must ensure it's thawed. Leave the pastry in the fridge overnight.
- Firstly, slice the onion and chop the mushroom roughly.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the onion with a pinch of salt until translucent, then add garlic and stir it together.
- Once the onion and garlic are translucent, add the chopped mushrooms and the thyme.
- Cook until the mushrooms are soft and nicely brown and release all their juices. Ensure you cook out all the water; otherwise, your puff pastry will be soggy.
- Stir in soya sauce. Let them cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190c and roll out the puff pastry from the fridge.
- Place your pastry on a baking tray with parchment paper. Score the edges around the pastry, making sure not to cut all the way through.
- Then prick the pastry sheet so it won't bubble up during baking.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese and top with sauteed mushrooms.
- Brush the edges with a mixture of non-dairy milk and turmeric to make it golden brown.
- Bake it for 25-30 minutes until it's nicely puffed and golden brown.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley and ENJOY!
This vegan mushroom tart is best served right away. But if you have any, in the fridge, you can store it in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- When cooking the mushrooms, ensure you leave the salt off until the last minute; otherwise, your mushrooms will be rubbery. Adding salt would draw out all the moisture from the mushrooms, and you'd be steaming them.
- Before topping the pastry sheet, cook all the water under the mushroom.
- When scoring the edges of the pastry, make sure you do not cut them through all the way around.
- Allow the mushrooms to cool down slightly before adding them to the top of the pastry.
- The non-dairy milk and turmeric mixture will make the pastry golden brown during baking.
- Make sure to prick the pastry before sprinkling the shredded cheese so it won't bubble up when baking.
More appetizer recipes
- Easy Stuffed Mushrooms with Vegan Cream Cheese and Jalapeños
- Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
- Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese Sauce
If you try this recipe, take a photo of your creation, and please tag me on Instagram @plantnspice #plantnspice because I love seeing your remakes!
Looking for other easy recipes like this? Try these: