Soft potato gnocchi with a velvety, creamy sauce combined with thyme is the perfect meal for craving something saucy, comforting and delicious.
Another week, another easy and delicious recipe on Plant n' Spice.
This creamy mushroom gnocchi with a delicious and velvety sauce is a perfect weeknight dinner. It is not only super creamy, rich and delicious but comes together in less than 30 minutes. Hence why, I love this recipe so much.
Oh yes, you know me! I genuinely love creamy dishes, especially in this colder weather. It makes me feel so cosy and warm. If you have seen my other recipes on my blog, you'd see how much I love easy, quick and creamy recipes.
My creamy tomato gnocchi recipe inspired this recipe, which I shared previously on my blog. I'm addicted to gnocchi and we all know that cream and mushroom combined with thyme is a perfect combination for all kinds of dishes.
So, yeah! Here we go! Another creamy one which I hope you will love as much as I do!
why you will love this gnocchi recipe
- The sauce is so creamy and full of flavour.
- The perfect midweek dinner.
- Store-bought gnocchi will make your life easier and helps you finish the recipe faster.
Ingredients for Creamy Mushroom Gnocchi
- Butter & Vegetable Oil - The secret to frying mushrooms is using butter and vegetable oil. Yeah, I know, I know. I thought it would not work at first, but trust me. You'll love your fried mushrooms with a combination of these two.
- Onion & Garlic - This is the base, the heart of the recipe.
- Mushrooms - I have used a mix of white and chestnut mushrooms.
- Gnocchi - Use store-bought to make this recipe quicker.
- Veggie Broth - I usually use hot water and veggie broth paste.
- Soy Single Cream - You can use any plant-based single or heavy cream too.
- Spices: salt, black pepper, red chilli flakes, nutritional yeast, thyme, smoked paprika.
See recipe card for quantities.
how to make creamy mushroom gnocchi
- Firstly, cook gnocchi according to package instructions.
- In the meantime, heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the mushrooms until tender, and then set aside.
- Then, heat more oil and sauté the onion with a pinch of salt; after a few minutes, add garlic, black pepper and thyme and cook until translucent.
- Now, add the veggie broth, cream, red chilli flakes, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast and simmer.
- Lastly, stir in the mushrooms and gnocchi and cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
Once the sauce thickens, season to taste, and garnish with fresh parsley and red chilli flakes; if you like it spicy, serve it straight away!
- When cooking the mushrooms, ensure you leave the salt off until the last minute; otherwise, your mushrooms will be rubbery. Adding salt would draw out all the moisture from the mushrooms, and you'd be steaming them.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools, so it would be best to serve it when it's still hot. You can always thin it up by adding water to it.
- Do not rinse the gnocchi after cooking; the little starch left will help thicken the sauce.