Are you looking for your new favourite autumn recipe? I got you! This creamy butternut squash pasta with sage is not only delicious and healthy but also easy to make; using simple ingredients.
Autumn is around the corner. Sadly, or maybe not? I'm not going to lie; I love autumn. I also love summer but am not too fond of hot weather. Luckily, here in the UK, it is not happening very often.
Since I launched my blog, I have kept thinking about new recipes, and now that the summer is over and we are stepping into the "pumpkin spiced latte" season, I can't tell you how excited I am to share all my delicious autumn comfort meal ideas with you.
I love the smell of sage, pumpkin, orange, and cinnamon, and I am going crazy with all the autumn decorations. I already feel sorry for my boyfriend because this is the time when I usually come home with all the new decorations. Especially now, after launching my blog, because I can't stop myself from buying new props for my photoshoots. Oopsie... 😀
But now, let's get back to this beauty, and let me show you how I made it!
why you will love this recipe
- cosy and comforting weeknight meal
- easy and quick to make
- delicious and healthy
- made with simple ingredients
- and last but not least, who doesn't like creamy pasta? 😉
what you'll need to make this creamy butternut squash pasta recipe
- butternut squash
- pasta of your choice
- olive oil
- vegan butter
- salt and pepper
- vegetable broth
- nutritional yeast / optional
- chillies / optional
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make this creamy butternut squash pasta
This sauce is super easy to make; however, the secret to this recipe is roasting the squash, onion and garlic, which takes around 30-40 minutes.
If you're short of time, you can cook the squash in salty water/vegetable broth or roast it in advance.
I know some people like it even more creamy or cheesy, but for this recipe, I did not use any cream or cheese ( not even cashew - even though I have tried it with cashew cheese sauce; it was nice, but for me, it tasted more like a butternut squash mac and cheese )
See the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
First, roast the veggies. Place the squash pieces, onion and garlic on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes until the squash is tender.
Then, blend the sauce. Let it cool. Add the butternut squash, garlic, onion and vegetable broth to a blender, and blend until smooth. In the meantime, cook your pasta. Reserve a bit of pasta cooking water before draining.
Make the sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add sage and fry for a few minutes. Then, add the sauce and nutmeg and bring it to a boil. Taste for seasoning.
Add the pasta to the sauce. Add the remaining vegetable broth to loosen the sauce and cook it together for a few minutes.
Finish the dish. Add two handfuls of spinach and pasta cooking water if needed.
Serve it with crushed chillies and nutritional yeast for a cheesy taste.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and TikTok for all of the latest updates.
MORE EASY PASTA RECIPES
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Diet: Vegan
Are you looking for your new favourite autumn recipe? I got you! This creamy butternut squash pasta with sage is not only delicious and healthy but also easy and quick to make; using simple ingredients.
- 500 g butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ tsp sage
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- nutritional yeast
- crushed chillies
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the squash pieces, onion and garlic on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes until the squash is tender.
- When the squash, onion and garlic are nicely roasted ( I love a bit of burn on the side ), take it out from the oven and let it cool.
- When the veggies are cooled down, put them into the blender. Add 200 ml vegetable broth and blend until smooth.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta in a pot of salting boiling water according to the package directions. Reserve a bit of pasta cooking water.
- Now, time to make the sauce. Melt the butter in a large pan, add sage and fry for 1-2 minutes. Pour the sauce into the pan, add nutmeg and bring it to a boil.
- Let's mix everything. Add the penne to the sauce, then the remaining vegetable broth and cook it together for a few minutes.
- To finish the dish, add two handfuls of spinach and cooking water if needed.
Serve it with crushed chillies and nutritional yeast for the cheesy taste.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: butternut squash penne, autumn recipes, butternut squash